CBarnezz's NHL Backroom Blog

Monday, March 06, 2006

News Isn't Coming Easy

Ok, ok, I know I had mentioned posting monster trade talk and by all of the emails I know you all are desperate for info too. I am very hesitant to post anything right now really.

To be frank though talks are filled with such double-talk its insane. I don't think I have ever seen it this way since getting involved with reporting hockey. I was unable to speak with Sutter, big surprise, but I did speak with someone from their management team. They were very cordial, but never told me or verified anything I didn't already know.

At this point I think every GM is quaking in theirshoes, some more than others of course, but nobody wants to jump to soon, to do too much or do to little. Every team, well almost every team, thinks they're still in it.

The talks I was hoping to elaborate on are just that...talks. Reluctantly I am going to post what I know so far, but let me re-write this...THESE ARE NOTHING MORE THAN TALKS. I am not breaking a trade here, just reporting talks, which is what I do 90% of the time.

If you hadn't already guessed, the big trade talks were between the Leafs and Flames. As you know, the Flames had made a pitch last week for Darcy Tucker offering a 2nd rnd pick. The other thing I reported earlier was that Sutter was looking to replace 1st line Centre Damond Langkow and last week had investigated options like Jokinen, Savard (a few others...check my earlier blogs) and even Mats Sundin.

As the week progressed, so to did talks. Keenan was asking to much for Joki. Savard was never really available unless Waddell had his doors blown off with an offer, which didn't happen. And oh ya, the Leafs lost Saturday, which prompted another Sutter / JFJ phone call.

My source tells me Sutter asked for Sundin/Tucker and like all GM's, JFJ replied by once again overvaluing his players and asked for too much in return.

Apparently JFJ asked for Phanuef in exchange for Sundin/Tucker and a swap of 1st round picks in 2006.

Now before everyone freaks out and sends hate mail, you need to understand that they are just talks...I DO NOT THINK PHANUEF WILL BE TRADED. In the current environment of this new NHL the limited # of sellers out there are asking HUGE premiums. Regier had good offers for Biron, but wanted more...McPhee has had more than a few good offers for Witt, but is also holding out for more.

Although talks are a plenty, it seems talks may be cheap and actual trades will be costly!
So stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home